Thursday 20 March 2014

Rocket Week 3: 40 km

Another first for Rocket this week - two passengers.  I removed the basket and put the second cushion back on, enabling me to transport my son to Keas along with my daughter.  My son was overcome with excitement and shouted at passers by 'Look we are on a tandem for three people'.  He is resistant to my explanations that Rocket is not a tandem!  It was certainly a fitness challenge carrying them both, and it got my heart rate up.

Other Rocket highlights of the week:

I've noticed my pannier hooks nicely to side of shopping trolley when getting a few things from Supermarket.  This is because it is adjusted for the wide diameter tubing of Rockets intreated rear rack.

Attention: Many people ask about Rocket: "did I have it custom built", "wish I'd had one", "where did you get it?", "that is so cool", "what an awesome bike".  We even had a passing car beep and give us the thumbs up out the window.  A nice change from the usual type of motorist reaction to a cyclist!

An alternative name:  My friend, upon seeing Rocket, recited a wonderful phrase from Julia Donaldson's children's book 'Room on the Broom':
"Then out rose ... A TRULY MAGNIFICENT BROOM! With seats for the witch and the cat and the dog, A nest for the bird and a shower for the frog. "Yes!" cried the witch, and they all clambered on. The witch tapped the broomstick and whoosh! they were gone."(DONALDSON, SCHEFFLER, 2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment