Thursday 27 March 2014

Rocket Week 4 - 27 km

A lighter week with 27 km accomplished.  We are both still very much enjoying using Rocket.

I choose to ride on the footpath when my daughter is aboard as it feels safer, particularly on congested or busy routes.  However it does have some drawbacks.

1.  It is illegal.  New Zealand has antiquated laws in this regard:

NZ law from NZTA website, "You can only ride on the footpath if you're delivering newspapers, mail or leaflets". Or expanded version from their code for cyclists: "You are only allowed to cycle on the footpath if you are:delivering newspapers or mail, or
you are riding a small wheeled recreational device that has a wheel diameter of less than 355 millimetres (typically tricycles or small children's bicycles)."
I believe the NZ law is outdated in this regard, and we need to campaign for revision more along the lines of NSW in Australia. Although there is debate about whether it is safer or not in the footpath, I believe parents who would absolutely not allow their children to cycle on the road would be okay with the footpath, and parents should be permitted to accompany their children on the footpath.  Drivers would adapt and become more vigilant about footpath users including cyclists if they become used to seeing more if them. Local laws should ensure cars exiting driveways have clear views of the footpath. 
NSW cyclist law: "you can
Ride on the footpath if less than 12 years old
Ride on the footpath if you are an adult riding with, and supervising, an under 12 year old
Ride on the footpath if you are carrying a person under 10 years old as a passenger on your bicycle or in or on a bicycle trailer you are towing - not a pedicab"

Although it seems unlikely I would be booked for riding on the footpath, I am a law abiding person and don't like being on the wrong side of it.  However it is a legal battle I may relish if it bought much needed change to this antiquated law.

2.  I am quiet and surprise other footpath users.
I feel rude ringing my bell at people.  If I ring from too far away they don't hear it, and if I ring to close I scare them.  Often trees and other obstacles prevent me from going on the berm to pass.  My bell isn't friendly sounding and is poorly placed for ease of access.  I am experimenting with a sequence of jingly bells dangling from my handlebars designed to gently announce my presence but I will have to work on that as I don't think the current ones are loud enough (they are old cat collar ones, more suited to keeping cats away from birds!).   Any suggestions from fellow cyclists are most welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment