Wednesday 8 October 2014

Learning Curve and Other Hills

The Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge is a hilly 160 km.  It is a bigger days cycling than I've done before, and will be busy, with 10,000 odd cyclists participating in a variety of events.  As such I figured I needed to not only train, but also do my homework.  Here is some things I have learned so far:

1.  Nutrition

I eat pretty healthy, but not for 'performance'.  On long rides in the past, I've drunk water and casually munched various muesli bars or whatever food is available along the way. Scotland meant oat cakes and tablet (like fudge, yum); in Vietnam it was noodle in beef broth and long necks of beer (along with some mysterious packaged things we called 'roadfill' because of its texture!); in France it was bread and cheese.  Get the picture?  So after seeing various  info about personalised nutrition plans, etc etc I figured I had better get informed.  What I learned, in a nutshell is that when you  are out riding hard for more than an hour or so, you  need a plan for eating and drinking right from the start.  That will ensure performance, recovery, best possible training outcome and avoid the dreaded bonk (which I think in me manifests itself in a lower form known as extreme grumpiness!!!!)   I follow the this formula:

After 15 mins drink water (sips)
After 30 mins drink carb mix (powdered sports drink made up with water)
After 45 mins have a bite (literally!) of food to eat plus some water
then alternate, every 15 mins, between drinking carb mix and bite of food and water.

This seems to work pretty well.  It is advisable to find out what carb mix will be available at aid stations on the day and try it out ahead of time.

Another useful piece of  advise is about refuelling after the ride.  For best recovery, which helps consolidate the training, consume at least 50 gm carbs within 30 mins post exercise.  This is a stop gap to having a good square meal with plenty of carbs.  Consuming carbs within 4 hours of exercise apparently has lots of beneficial effects - which you can read more about in this article.

2.  Recovery, graduation and intervals

A good training plan allows time for recovery, both active recovery and full rest.  A plan may include increased training over a period of 3 - 4 weeks, and then a rest week with a much much lighter training schedule.  Each training week should incorporate 1 -2 rest days.  Week over week increases, measured in distance or time, should not exceed 10% else there is risk of over training.  I am following a 12 week training plan suggested in the book Taupo 101 (Matt Oliver), aimed at beginners.  I've adjusted it a bit for my own purposes.

3.  Group riding

Cycling with my kids is sort of good preparation for cycling in a bunch.  In that I tend to be very very aware of what the rider in front of me might do and expect the unexpected.  On the downside, cycling with kids has taught me to hang back and allow a decent following space so I can avoid their somewhat erratic manoeuvres!  Given I've not done real bunch riding before, I am really stepping outside my comfort zone to try and learn this skill.  I seem to have found a lovely bunch of riders tolerant to a beginner such as myself, so I look forward to learning and improving in this area and will share any tips I might learn as I go.

4.  I love hills

I think I knew this one already, but it has been way fun to be reminded of it.  I make up assorts of natty hill climbing songs, often based on kids songs, to keep me occupied as I make my way up up up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment