Sunday 9 June 2013

The Fortnightly Blitz Clean

Here is the deal.  I used to have a cleaner (in a past life, when I worked in a career outside the home).  She could clean my house in three hours once per fortnight and I paid her for it.  She did a great job, and I was sad to see her go.  I always felt lazy and guilty having a cleaner, although it was pretty much a necessity at many points in my career.  So at some point I decided that I would be the cleaner.  I allocate myself three hours once per fortnight (it is in my diary) and I pay myself to do the job.  I like the challenge of getting the job done within the timeframe, which helps me stay focused.  I like being paid too.  To put the three hours in perspective: this is a big house, three bathrooms, five bedrooms and two living areas.  I do well!

It helps to be organised!  This is a mission in efficiency, and good exercise too.  So here is how I go about it.

The night before:
The kids have to tidy up the family room and get all the toys away and off the carpet.  They get ice cream on Sunday nights, so there is a sweetener!

Everyday:
I keep the kitchen clean and appliances and benches wiped.  Once a week I give the sinks and fridge special attention.  Thus the kitchen does not need a special clean.
Keep surfaces clear of clutter and floors reasonably clear.
Use a portable hand-held vacuum to clean mess around dining table, and wipe these floors with floor cloth as needed.

The day of The Clean:
1.  Assemble cleaning gear.
I use a large mop bucket and have the following all ready to go in it:
Small bucket containing: 3 chux clothes (one for each toilet, see my entry on toilet cleaning), 2 old tea towels, enjo bathroom fibre, tea tree oil, old toothbrush, enjo marble paste.
Old napisan container containing enjo bathroom maid
Bicarb in shakeable container
Spray bottle containing white vinegar and lemon essential oil
Enjofil mirror/glass cloth

I carry it all with me as I go, hence the bucket.

Keep aside and ready: mop, spray bottle containing water. 

2.  Dust.
I use a telescopic handle electrostatic duster.  I used to shun this kind of thing on the basis it just moves the dust around.  But I figure technology has moved on and so have I.   It does the trick.  I dust
skirting boards pictures door frames furniture and stuff on it, books and book cases, Appliances, Light fittings, bathroom fans, Window sills, Blinds. I lift and move stuff, dusting the stuff and under it. I minimise the amount of stuff! I dust 

3.  Vacuum
To me it makes sense to do this after dusting.  I take off the tube and just use the nozzle to do along the skirting boards, and then put the head back on to do the carpets and hard floors.  This is good exercise!  Put some music on and get a workout.

4.  Bathrooms
Now for the cleaning gear in the bucket! Next I do the bathrooms, using my bathroom enjo to do the basins, showers and bath.  I use the enjofil for the mirrors and glass.  Marble paste is handy for the soapscum on the bath (from Bubblebath I think!) and shower.  I have discovered some brands of showergel do not leave this build up and I love them!!  (Try Health Basics!).  I also do the toilets per my post on bathroom cleaning!

5.  Wiping
Time for banisters, handles and light switches.  I use the Enjofil cloth (now pretty damp) to wipe my metal door handles and light switches.  This is good hygiene.

6.  Mopping
I love my Enjo mop.  It is amazing.  All I need do is wet the mop head, squeeze it out slightly, attach it and away we go.  Apart from using a spray bottle with water (and sometimes some essential oil) to wet the floors after the initial couple of rooms, I do not need to wring, squeeze, rinse or anything like that.  It is simply awesome.   I start with the kitchen, then family dining, then hallway, then bathrooms and finish in the laundry.  The floor is really clean and I am done.
Check out these youtube videos on the Enjo Mop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy7RTOhn7C0 - You have to watch this through and see the difference between the Enjo mop and regular mopping, amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjF9bV5bD8I

7. Extra Jobs per rota
I have a cleaning rota of jobs that don't need to be done every fortnight, and I schedule them in a to-do list in my phone.  I check which job is due this fortnight and get it done.  Examples include: wiping screens and monitors, tidying up the spare room, cleaning the high areas (skylight void) in the bathroom, wiping the outside of the front door, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment